The Association operates on a national scale and is a member of the Federation of Foreign Language Teachers in Finland, SUKOL. There are some 2300 members from all level of education; teachers of English in comprehensive schools, upper secondary schools, colleges of further education, adult education centres and universities all over Finland.
– to strenghten the effective teaching and learning of English as a foreign language at all levels
– to support teachers in their work
We offer our members
– post graduate courses in Finland, the US, Great Britain, etc.
– scholarships for courses abroad
– alternative programs at annual conventions organized by SUKOL
– the latest news in language teaching along with other language associations in TEMPUS ( a publication of the Federation of Foreign Language Teachers in Finland), with our own secretarial column providing information on matters concerning the Association
– test and exercises for primary and upper secondary school, including preliminary tests for the Matriculation Examination
– competitions for learners ( essays, etc.)
– an influential forum for discussing the teaching of English
We act through
– our annually elected Board of Representatives (9 persons) from all levels of education and from different parts of the country
– our office, our annual Yours Truly- Magazine, Tempus- Magazine, SUKOL and its local associations
– The National Board of Education, the Ministry of Education and the National Board of Matriculation Examination by making suggestions, proposals and statements to the fact
We are supported by
The Embassy of the United States of America
The British Council
The Canadian Embassy
The Finnish Institute in London
The Finnish–British Society
The League of Finnish–American Societies in Finland
The Irish Embassy.
We belong to the following international organizations
IATEFL (International Association of Teachers of English as a foreign Language),
TESOL (Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages),
NAAS (Nordic Association for American Studies)
NACS (Nordic Association for Canadian Studies),
as well as FIPLV (Fédération Internationale des Professeurs de Langues Vivantes) via SUKOL.
You can contact us
Telephone: +358 45 3179 731
Address: Ratamestarinkatu 11